Yes, I know it’s still a bit early for that. Well, not judging by the look our streets display! Christmas is not exactly around the corner but it’s almost one month away, and I’m sure some of you have already thought about what to give as gifts to family or friends. Let me recommend you an all time favourite: books! Despite the e-readers’ ever increasing presence in the market, a book is still one of man’s best friends. If you don’t want to spend too much money you can always buy someone an e-book, although you never have the feeling you’ve delivered your gift because of the non-concrete side of this action.
let me give you five good reasons as to why a book should be your Christmas present to your loved ones:
- A book lasts longer than a chocolate box/cake/whatever. It won’t be immediately used and abandoned, and it doesn’t require as much attention as a living present should (aka plants).
- You will be helping the survival of books by doing so. E-books are now the trend, and as much as I also appreciate them, books still deserve to be held, browsed and put on a shelf properly!
- You will be sending a powerful message to your friend/relative, that reading is one important activity in life and should never be abandoned in favour of movies/television/internet and other types of entertainments.
- If you’re reading this, you’re probably a book lover yourself, which means if you buy a book as a gift to someone, they might reward you by paying back the favour and you might receive a book as your next gift!
- A book is a personal gift! By buying one and giving it to someone, you’re implying appreciation to this person’s interests or encourage their lifestyle choices. For example, if you buy a recipe book, you’ll imply you appreciate this interest and also encourage this person to continue in their research!
See? I hope you made up your mind about Christmas presents now!